Current:Home > MyRussian billionaire loses art fraud suit against Sotheby’s over $160 million -Capitatum
Russian billionaire loses art fraud suit against Sotheby’s over $160 million
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 01:58:04
NEW YORK (AP) — A Russian billionaire art collector lost a legal fight with Sotheby’s on Tuesday, when a U.S. jury sided with the auction house in a lawsuit over claims that the businessman was ripped off while assembling a trove of works that included a famous painting known as “the lost Leonardo.”
A New York federal jury deliberated for a few hours before reaching a decision in Dmitry Rybolovlev’s case against Sotheby’s, The New York Times reported. The fertilizer titan alleged that the auction house helped a Swiss art dealer cheat him out of over $160 million by quietly imposing huge markups on works that he acquired. Tearing up when he testified earlier this month, he said he’d not only lost money but trust.
Sotheby’s maintained it knew nothing of any misconduct and said it had followed all legal, financial and industry standards. It cast the decision Tuesday as a mark of total vindication.
“Today’s ruling reaffirms Sotheby’s long-standing commitment to upholding the highest standards of integrity, ethics and professionalism in all aspects of the art market,” the auction house said in a statement after the verdict.
However, Rybolovlev lawyer Daniel Kornstein said that “secrecy made it difficult to prove a complex aiding and abetting fraud case.”
“This case achieved our goal of shining a light on the lack of transparency that plagues the art market,” the attorney said, calling for reforms that “must be made outside the courtroom.”
Rybolovlev, 57, spent $2 billion from 2002 to 2014 to build a prime art collection featuring works by such giants as Picasso, Rodin, Modigliani, Klimt, Magritte and Leonardo da Vinci. For help finding and acquiring art, he turned to Swiss broker Yves Bouvier.
The collector testified that he trusted Bouvier “like family,” even inviting him to small birthday parties — before coming to believe that the art dealer was cheating him. He alleged that Bouvier hugely padded the prices that Rybolovlev was paying and pocketing the difference, along with his agreed-upon 2% commission.
Bouvier and Rybolovlev settled in December for undisclosed terms, according to Bouvier’s lawyers. They said this month that he “strongly objects to any allegation of fraud.”
In private transactions, Sotheby’s sold Bouvier some works that he then resold to Rybolovlev. The billionaire’s lawyers argued that the auction house either knew — or should have known — that Rybolovlev was getting cheated and notified him.
“So it’s not an issue of money. Well, not only of money,” Rybolovlev said, through a court interpreter on the witness stand. “It’s important for the art market to be more transparent. Because ... when the largest company in this industry is involved in actions of this sort, you know, clients don’t stand a chance.”
Sotheby’s lawyer Sara Shudofsky argued that the businessman was “trying to make an innocent party pay for what somebody else did to him.” She said that Rybolovlev didn’t ask enough questions of Bouvier or take enough steps to guard against being conned.
Rybolovlev accused Bouvier of fraud involving 38 artworks. Only four were at issue in the trial, including da Vinci’s “Salvator Mundi, ” a portrait of Jesus Christ. Its whereabouts were unknown for centuries.
Rybolovlev’s lawyers said Bouvier bought it from Sotheby’s for $83 million, then sold it on to the billionaire a day later for over $127 million.
In 2017, Rybolovlev sold it through Christie’s for a historic $450 million and it became the most expensive painting ever sold at auction.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Sister Wives' Christine Brown Honors Kody and Janelle's Late Son Garrison With Moving Tribute
- Third-party movement No Labels says it will field a 2024 presidential ticket
- Mississippi legislators are moving toward a showdown on how to pay for public schools
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- The best Oscar acceptance speeches of all time, from Meryl Streep to Olivia Colman
- Murder suspect stalked homeless man before killing him with ax, Seattle police say
- 3 farmers killed by roadside bomb in Mexico days after 4 soldiers die in explosive trap likely set by cartel
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- Friday is the last day US consumers can place mail orders for free COVID tests from the government
Ranking
- Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
- Kylie Kelce Proves She’ll Always Be Jason Kelce’s Biggest Cheerleader in Adorable Retirement Tribute
- J.K. Rowling's 'dehumanizing' misgendering post reported to UK police, TV personality says
- Brittany Mahomes speaks out after injury: 'Take care of your pelvic floor'
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- In rights landmark, Greek novelist and lawyer are the first same-sex couple wed at Athens city hall
- How to save money on a rental car this spring break — and traps to avoid
- Key moments from Sen. Katie Britt's Republican response to 2024 State of the Union
Recommendation
American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
Rare 2-faced calf born last month at a Louisiana farm is flourishing despite the odds
How does daylight saving time work in March? What to know about time changes as we prepare to spring forward.
The Skinny Confidential's Mouth Tape With a 20K+ Waitlist Is Back in Stock!
Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
'A new challenge:' Caitlin Clark dishes on decision to enter WNBA draft
Bribery, fraud charges reinstated against former New York Lt. Governor
These Empowering Movies About Sisterhood Show How Girls Truly Run the World